Dynamic update of USS table
Chauhan, Jasbir
2005-11-16 14:26:49 UTC
Fellow Listers, I'm running z/OS 1.4 & looking for ideas to dynamically
update a location in the USS table.
e.g.
My TCP/IP has the following:
LUGROUP CFITEL
CFIAA000..CFIAA999
ENDLUGROUP
IPGROUP CFINC 255.255.255.192:xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx ENDIPGROUP
LUMAP CFITEL CFINC
USSTCP USSCFI CFINC

& my USS table (USSCFI) has the following:

DC X'114CF4',C'T ==> TEST CICS for XXX.'
DC X'114EC4',C'P ==> PROD CICS for XXX.'
DC X'114FD4',C'Q ==> Q.A. CICS for XXX.'
DC X'11D4C9',C' '
DC X'11D5D9',C' '
DC X'11D660',C'Your IP Address: @@@@@@@@@IPADDR'
DC X'11D750',C'Your Telnet Port: @@PRT '
DC X'11D860',C'Last Command: @@@@RUNAME'
DC X'11D940',C'LU: @@LUNAME Sense Code: @@@SENSE'
DC X'11D9F0',C'Date: @@@@DATE TIME: @@@@TIME'
Is it possible to use a variable to replace XXX location, in the USStable by
the IPGROUP tag (CFINC) . This would allow me to use one USStable (if need
be) for different IPGROUPs.
Thanks in advance for your input.
Regards,
Jasbir

For IBMTCP-L subscribe / signoff / archive access instructions,
send email to ***@VM.MARIST.EDU with the message: INFO IBMTCP-L
Chris Mason
2005-11-19 08:11:26 UTC
Jasbir,

Probably the reason you haven't had any response to this - until now - is
that it's not really clear what you are trying to do.

If I assume you just want to make a change to an USS table and introduce the
change while CS IP is running I can copy some advice from Scott Trost in a
recent post:

"The command to pickup a new USSTCP table is now an obeyfile command:
VARY TCPIP,taskname,OBEYFILE,DSN=dataset.name
where the "dataset.name" contains the TELNETPARMS/ENDTELNETPARMS and
BEGINVTAM/ENDVTAM sections of your PROFILE.TCPIP."

Note he says NEW USS table.

In order to appear to "change" an USS table, you must also note what Pat
O'Keefe added to the above post:

"TCP/IP won't load a new copy of a USSTAB if there are still
connections/sessions using the old table. (I assume it deletes the table
when its use count goes to 0.)

The only way I've found to get an updated table in TCP/IP is to code a table
with a new name, change the references to the new name, and obeyfile the new
defs.

That's a real pain compared to the way VTAM works."

Now, having got the plagiarism out of the way, I can make my comments:

I assume the code example you have given is some BUFFER text from a USS
message 10 which you have carefully set up with 3270 "set buffer address"
sequences. Alternatively you may have set up each of the USS messages with
this selection advice information since you may consider it sensible to
provide the advice following a mistake having been made as much as on the
original "Good Morning" message, message 10. Whichever of the messages your
example is from, certainly including message 10, I should point out that the
@@@@RUNAME and @@@SENSE variables will apply only to USS message 7, the
message used to indicate a failure while either VTAM, in the case of the
original use of USS tables, or the TELNET server, in the case of the CS IP
use of USS tables, attempts to set up a session.

Regarding the possibility to make a substitution of the IPGROUP tag, you may
have identified a requirement for CS IP development. Perhaps you should put
a case together and submit it through the usual channels. Don't ask me what
they are since I don't know - but I've an idea the second quoted contributor
above would know.

Chris Mason

Chauhan, Jasbir
2005-11-21 12:18:30 UTC
Thanks Chris ! I really admire your patience -- the fact that you delve
into details and explain things so clearly. Thanks again.
I was basically looking for a variable that can handle IPGROUP. I did
contact IBM and they told me that existing releases (upto 1.7) do not return
IPGROUP to the USSTCP table ( only LUNAME, IPADDr etc..). So I've opened a
Marketing Request to add this to future releases.

I don't think there would be a need (after first implementation) to run the
obey command (for USStable) the way I intend to implement it. Let me
explain:

IPGROUP FORD 255.255.255.192:xxx.xxx.xxx.123 ENDIPGROUP
LUMAP XXXTEL FORD
USSTCP USSXXX FORD
;
IPGROUP TOYOTA 255.255.255.255:xxx.xxx.xxx.007 ENDIPGROUP
LUMAP YYYTEL TOYOTA
USSTCP USSXXX TOYOTA

In the above two cases, you'll note the following:
1. Different IPADDRs
2. Different IPGROUPs
3. Same USStable.

If USStable was assembled with IPGROUP as a variable, then a different value
would get passed to the USSTCP table in the above cases. So the users at
Ford & Toyota would see their respective names on their initial TN3270
screens. No need to run the obey command. However, if I were to add:
IPGROUP HONDA 255.255.255.255:xxx.xxx.10.007 ENDIPGROUP
LUMAP ZZZTEL HONDA
USSTCP USSXXX HONDA
I would need to run the obey command to include Honda's IPADDR and not for
their USStable.
I hope what I've said makes sense.